2 May 2017

Echoes and Dust reviews Gnod's residency at Roadburn



It reads:

I’ll start with the artist in residence, which was the psyche collective Gnod, who played 4 very different sets throughout the festival. I watched all 4 sets, and I can now say with more certainty that I am not sure anymore if these people are from a different planet or not. From their punishing experimental electronic set at Het Patronaat on Thursday, all the way to their last set opening the Main Stage on Sunday with fellow psychers Radar Men From The Moon, under the collaborative name Temple Ov BBV, my brain simply got rewired every single time I watched them. My favourite set of the 4 was their Friday night set in the Green Room, where they played their more “classic rock” set, and presented some songs of their latest protest album JUST SAY NO TO THE PSYCHO RIGHT​-​WING CAPITALIST FASCIST INDUSTRIAL DEATH MACHINE. By the time they started their last 20 minutes of heavy, pulsating psyche using nothing but flashing strobe lights they had turned the whole Green Room into one gigantic dancing mass. Their Saturday set where they collaborated with drone duo Kuro was also of outstanding quality. I feel sorry for the people who left after 25 minutes of listening to a very slowly evolving drone set, which in first instance didn’t seem to go anywhere. But Gnod being Gnod, the second half of the set somehow miraculously turned into yet another massive psyche fest. How on Earth they do this, I really have no idea. They are simply in a league of their own...

Read the rest here: Echoes and Dust

---